Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas

Sitting in bed in the early hours of this morning, as usual sleep evading me again...feeling very sorry for myself and low, my thoughts turned to Christmas and its meaning .....starting with the past when I was small..I suppose like many Mums and Dads there were hard times, but always my family made Christmas special for us children.. A small 3 bedroomed house was full of family and relations, however did 10 or more people and dogs have room and Christmas dinners sitting round our little table, lots of lovely cooking smells, and laughter... a sock with Orange and nuts and presents, not many in those days, Church services and Carols... has my memory forgotten if there were bad times, good, I hope so, because all I remember is the love and good times.

When our Sons were born, how lucky and happy we were, and the Christmas's we had were so wonderful the boys had pillowcases stuffed with goodies and I have always loved cooking so lots of food and fun, not a lot of money but lots of happiness, well is this my memory playing me up again, I hope not, as I remember the love.... do they? I wonder, was it the same for them, or do they remember it differently, they are not keen on Christmas now, so was it something we did wrong? I hope not I like to think they have good memories....of love and good times.

When my dear husband passed away on October the 29th 2002, he was the love of my life my rock and after 46 very happy years, life changed, and Christmas did too..... despite having my wonderful sons it will never be the same....I want so much that they be happy, because I love them with all my heart, as did their Dad....

But have we forgotten what Christmas is all about. whether we believe the story of a baby born in the stable, surely we should try and and have at least one day when all our worries. wars, greed, drugs, and murders can be put to one side and all the commercial hype which seems to be what Christmas is about nowadays... are put on hold and the true meaning of Christmas, Peace, Joy, Love. friends and family...

So no matter how we are feeling, we must remember that there are so many people much worse off than us, and for a while let us all live with good happy memories and enjoy a Christmas of happiness and love...

If that sounds sloopy and silly ...well maybe it is, but we only have one life, so let us make it a happy memory...this old mad bint will sign off with wishing each of you bloggers a happy, healthy and wonderful Christmas......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This does not sound silly at all--it's a lovely post (used to get oranges and nuts in my stocking every Christmas morning!) and merry Christmas to you as well.

by the way, I have a cat who looks just like your Oscar, and they both seem to lie on their backs.

Alifan said...

Welcome Robyn,

David has already told me about tiger, he sounds lovely....