Monday, March 03, 2014

Harmony in Harlem

On Saturday evening a few of us went to the Beccles Public Hall  to hear a 16 piece Jazz Orchestra from Cambridge way," with a repertoire of vibrant swing from the great Duke Ellington."

The Public Hall has been transformed thanks to a lot of good fundraising by the committee, and it is turning into the place it used to be, only better!

We must not lose these fine venues as we have done in the past, and I am guilty of not attending so many things  they have put on there, however I will certainly try and attend a lot more  in the future, as it takes me back to the days when it was a thriving place to go to, and in my past, have actually performed (badly I am sure) with Miss Smith's dancing class. and also for a mayor's 'do' when I was 16 with some great young ladies we performed the 'Can Can' not sure if we did it well, but a memory to keep!

Also the RAFA held some great nights there, and those who were about in those days, I am sure will remember some good times, and some rare ones when we had all the guests seated for a dinner and the gas went off! And even further back, ha ha you can tell I am older! dancing with my Mum and ladies of a certain age, to 'Old Time Dancing" that was held there.

So back to the evening of music, it was really good and different, what a joy to see the Swing dancers coming along and they presented us all with some great moves!

Thanks for the company, and for the really good music, it must have been hard to decided what to play, but it sounded like  very broad spectrum of titles from them, some I had never heard, but some familiar.

A good singer as well, and how vibrant was she!  Nice to see some younger players enjoying playing Jazz and Swing, the piano player was very good…and didn't they all look smart…Well done to all concerned, thank you.





No comments: