Friday, June 13, 2008

South Pacific.........

Once again I have been spoiled by Jan with her daughter to another trip to the Theatre Royal in Norwich....This time to see Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific...

None of us had been feeling particularly healthy of late, and did not know till the last minute whether we should go or not..... but oh boy am I glad we made it...

You all know that it is about the Americans during World War 2, and it was brilliant...

The Live music making it a bonus, (no French horns though Robyn).....

The lead of Emile de Becque was played by David Willetts, and what an actor and the voice... mmm.Helena Blackman (she came second in the search for Maria on TV) played Ensign Nellie Forbush, and what a talent, I know some of you (Dive) think that these TV reality music programmes are a waste of time, but it certainly brought her to the forefront, and she also was really great...

The scenery was fantastic, so much going on and it is not a great big stage, but all the shows make a great job of using the space to make you feel it is huge....in fact it is a great Theatre, will have to get Dive or Full to take a picture of it although it is the inside that really thrills.....

The songs were sung to perfection... and the dancing and everything made you feel really good...

Oh yes and some great young men with really nice bodies..!!!!I know at my age I should not look!!!!!

A Filipina lady played Bloody Mary and what a voice.....she was a short plump lady but she was certainly blessed with that voice..... her daughter played by a dear little Japanese young lady (Dive) just like you admire)........Kanako Nakano, what a sweet little thing she was....and there were 2 little children Ngana and Jerome playing 2 Philippines they were really cute and had such sweet voices.....

Another one to mention was Christopher Howell who played Luther Billis, he was so funny, and when he dressed as a girl in a grass skirt for part of the show they put on well I thought he would never be able to talk through the audience as we were laughing so much at the sight of him....and when Lt Joseph Cable played by Ian Mclarnon, got killed near the end you could have heard a pin drop in between the sniffles from us all.......

The songs are so well known like ...Some Enchanted Evening... Bali Ha'i, ....I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair.... Wonderful guy..... Younger than Springtime to name but a few, and of course Happy Talk, so in the end your mind is so full of songs that you go around with a smile on your face for ages....

At the end they took so many curtain calls our hands were red hot with clapping...

I thank you again Jan for all you do for me, and I must say that was a really Feelgood show....bet Liz is still singing........

4 comments:

dive said...

Now you're talking!
I'm so glad you went to see a REAL musical and not a "Lloyd Webber" thing.
What a great evening it sounds!
Now you've gone and put those songs in my head I'll be stuck with them all day. No bad thing.

Scout said...

Ah, South Pacific. I played the pit orchestra for that one in a local high school production a few years ago. The horn part for Balai Hi (spell?) was pretty cool. I'm surprised there were no horns for your performance. I'm glad you enjoyed teh show.

Alifan said...

Yes Dive those songs are running through my head still....but they are lovely..

Sorry no horn parts last night Robyn, but they did very well, always love a good orchestra...

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I'm gonna wash..... is a great song! Glad you had a great time.