Friday, August 01, 2014

Jazz Night…

Well …Thursday night at the Sports Pavilion Ditchingham, was full to overflowing with both Musicians and People! June and I arrived early to find the place nearly full, so a lot of different places had to be found for the regulars, I know we do not own the tables and chairs and it is good sometimes we have a change, and so pleased so many attend …but thank goodness for a lovely evening so some could sit outside.

It was an extremely hot evening and their must have been over 100 people there, some regulars and some more new faces,, still the problem with tables and chairs, as I have already mentioned, but some did bring their garden chairs, and some sat on the floor!

As well as those I put on the last post, we had Ron Hockett visiting again, adding a real mix to the 7 already on offer. Always a pleasure to hear him play.

Lots of all kinds of music with the different line up, Tony P sang, as well  as Geoff Whatling, then Simon Denny gave us some of his melodic songs, also Roy sang a couple…

Tony P gave us some great trombone as well as keeping us all entertained with his chat on things…

They played 'Onions' at the end and nice to hear people shouting that out!!

Thanks as always to Heidi who no matter how many people she serves, always has a smile, and maybe she is like a swan all cool on top and paddling like mad underneath, but she is such an asset.…

I could not get near to take any photos, and would not have been able to get everyone in, but they all did a grand job of keeping people entertained.

Thanks SImon for making it an entertaining raffle…

Next week I hear it will be Roy and his band, so will await to see who is playing with them…



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic evening, I have been along to one or two in the past but it clashes with other things but last night was special.
I think I was one of the free-loaders who took a regular's seat but everyone was lovely about it.
It is so nice to hear LIVE music, it is so different from recordings no matter how great.
I didn't think of myself as a fan of dixie, more bop to modern, but as i get older i get more eclectic and hearing Onions (last heard on a 10" lp of Chris Barber or Humph at the Albert Hall in 1950 in 1964) was lovely, of course the four pints i had consumed helped (and the bar lady is lovely, always friendly and helpful, hope her evening is pleasant for her).
I am vaguely acquainted with Ray and when I first came a few months ago he was very friendly, getting me somewhere to sit and chatting about music.
I took a position (stealing a regular's perch, no doubt) where i could see some of his piano playing. I am learning now i am retired (chopsticks anyone?) so was interested to see what he was up to.
The whole band was magic.
I talked to the trombone player (sorry don't know all the names) at the start about Bb trombones and transposing etc, very friendly and open guy.
But my very favourite is Derek whose tenor gives me echos of Prez--laid back and so soulful. I stole his time at the break to discuss Armstrong's and Artie Shaw's respective recordings of Stardust. He is a lovely man and a very fine musician.
Well, I have intruded on your website long enough, but anyone landing on this page and within shouting distance of Bungay/Ditchingham, do yourself a big favour and check it out on Thursday evenings.
Everyone is so friendly and live music is so important in our phoney world of recorded drivel. Thanks everyone and see you again, not every week cos i am such an important man (joke) but whenever i can make it.
Love Kevin Wingfield

Alifan said...

Thanks Kevin nice to see you on here, so glad you enjoyed it.
Do not worry about the seat taking, we do get rather used to sitting in the same place, but it does us no harm to move now and again, especially for someone who obviously enjoyed it all.

Alan Cugnoni said...

So pleased to hear it was yet another good night my thanks to everyone concerned, and what a write up Kevin we look forward to your next visit.

Alan