Friday, January 10, 2014

Sole Bay Jazz Plus…

This Thursday evening at Ditchingham Sports Pavilion…was a very different one than usual, very talented gentlemen, rather orchestral…Lots of new arrangements, and some music we had not heard for a while…

A really good crowd again, and very full considering a lot of the regular people were absent, we need a few more tables and chairs Jon!! ha ha I know you read this!

Thanks Heidi as always a lovely addition to our Thursday nights…




I think everyone enjoyed the talent of the musicians … I know I did…  I suppose my only thing was, as I am re learning the piano at the moment, and finding a lot of concentration going into reading the music myself, that it seemed  a shame that even with all the great music coming out, I personally felt sorry that everyone was having to read music, and as I state this is only my opinion, and a very humble one at that, because I admire all of the players…

I think one can see by the photos that everyone was busy concentrating on the music, much more clever than I am as I still struggle to see my sheet music!, but as they were playing set arrangements it was to be expected…

Some great vocals from Tony Parsons and a bit of laugh with the lyrics…

I must remember to wear warmer clothing at the gigs, as it was a bit arctic last night, sorry Jon, but several of us could have done better to have a dance to keep warm, or is it my old blood getting thin!

However the venue is such a good place and great company, so I do apologise for those who were not cold and enjoyed every minute of it all…But as usual it is my little diary, so sorry if you are offended by my comments…I hope you are not,  as I do everything I can to support all the musicians, but nice to be able to comment on the different aspects…otherwise you would not bother to look in………


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoops

Alifan said...

Well they were very good just different, and maybe because I am jealous that they could read music so well ha ha… but as I said just my take on things.
Where were you two?

Unknown said...

In dispose, just to let the cat out.

Alifan said...

Looks like I have had a lot of folk looking at the Sole Bay Jazz report, but only you ND who has dared make a comment…

TuCods said...

Well here goes, I have been arraigned to attempt some observations. I will try to keep this brief, and not to annoy or upset anybody. This is after all a social blog, albeit a public one, therefore I will not make reference directly to any personal names.

The thorny subject of music reader versus non-reader arises quite often amongst those of my acquaintance, and if one is not careful will lead to some quite (a-hem!) heated discussion. I personally hold the view that it takes talent whatever the skill, be it reading or picking up the musical threads by ear. Let's face it, most of the jazz guys/gals know the tunes, also what the subtle nuances should sound like, hence are able to produce professional results, whether it be by instinct, memory or working around the dots. It seems to me there are many varied ways to achieve, and that there are some who are able to perform whatever is needed - and not only within the field of jazz, which in itself is acknowledged to be a broad church.

I find it is interesting to observe and hear different methods employed, as was the case on 9th Jan 2014. I did hear a comment (not intended to be overly critical I feel sure) that a bit more of a 'loose' element would have resulted in an improved presentation, and I would not forcefully seek to disparage that point of view.
If the performance, whether it has been carried out with expert execution or perhaps occasionally inclusive of some warts, pleases the audience, then surely the performers have achieved quite a large part of the objective, and the 'punters' will return again, possibly many times over.

Surely it cannot be denied that the journeys and varied incarnations of the Sole Bay Jazz Band have resulted in an enviable longevity for the band? And don't let's forget the huge numbers of musicians, varied in experience and age, that, over the years, have been keen to gain a guest position on the bandstand.
So permit me to suggest; there is a place for all the varied styles and methods - it doesn't seem to have done too much harm to the core members of the Sole Bay Jazz Band.

However, I would not be too surprised if there are some out there who think differently - - - -

Regards, Neil

Alifan said...

Well I did ask for an opinion, thanks Neil, I hope you do not think I was saying anything about the quality of the Sole Bay Guys as you know I love them warts and all…

Just like you say sometimes it is more enjoyable than others to us individuals…

As always think I should let you write my blog for the band, far more readable than me…

By the way I had so many hits on blog according to the stats, that must mean I am going to get some stick if I go on Thursday night!!!

Alan Cugnoni said...

Well that must have been the longest comment ever on the blog !

Alan