Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Maritime Museum Lowestoft

My brother Ron was on a minesweeper in the war...., always loved the hymn Eternal Father with the words for those in peril on the sea....because the people round this area have always been remarkable in fishing and the saving of lives at sea.....
Jan and I took our relatives Rosemary and Russell to the Maritime Museum yesterday long time since I was there, and they are adding a new piece thanks to the Lottery fund.....a little piece of `East Anglian history....
Just a few glimpses, hoping you can get the idea of how loved the fishing , lifeboat were and are around here...and how important it was and is to our coast here in East Anglia..
This is Bill one of the people who can tell you a tale or two of the sea!!!!!
The Ness is where Jan and Russell walked to after the museum, but Rosemary and I went only part of the way, we prefered to look at the map!!!!!!
Just an idea of how they lived on the fishing boats....there were some great memories seeing the old packets of "players and woodbines" some of you will be too young to remember those....do not fancy sleeping in those little bunks in the middle of a storm at sea......
Lovely models of some of the old wherries and drifters......
The memories that are on these walls are great.....

Jan and Rosemary found a great sailors prayer on the wall how brave the people who dare to fish the seas, and the lifeboats and crews who save those in peril... will make a return some day. not sure whether we ever took the boys? they will no doubt tell me!!!!but worth a visit....

We went for a stroll along the sea wall after and it was windy and cold, but just right for thinking of all the fisher girls who used to come and gut the herrings when we had a thriving fishing industry.. they used to walk along in their break knitting fairisle jumpers, their poor hands after all the hard work never seemed to worry them they always had a smile on their faces.....

2 comments:

dive said...

Wow! What a fabulous place! I'll have to break the habit of decades and actually visit Lowestoft again now so I can go and see the museum.

I hope Ness Point is not still the grim industrial wasteground it was last time I visited (it must have been 1978).

It was nice to have a reminder of Ronnie's wartime exploits and I must confess I love that hymn, too.

Alifan said...

Yes Ness point has been vandelised, and everything smashed or rude words sprayed about, not nice...I was going to take a photo of it all but it was so sad that I did not...

I cannot believe we never took you boys to the museum.. sorry!!!!