Saturday, September 22, 2007

My lovely surprise!!

Just a couple of nights ago, my dear Jan phoned to say she was taking me to the Marina Theatre....we do like to go at least a few times a year, but I had declined this one, not because I would not love to go, but thought I could not be so extravagant as The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra was a bit beyond my means at the time of booking.

But Jan thought it would be a nice part of my birthday present.... and how right she was, my dear niece Liz, who has not been well, was feeling better, so they came and picked me up, and off we went...

The Theatre has recently had a little make over, and it looked every bit like a West end theatre with all the lights outside..very impressive....

The evening was so great... The first they played was Glinka, now I thought I had not heard of him, but they played the Overture, Ruslan and Ludmillam and surprised me as it seemed familiar.....

Then Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor Op.64

The young violinist was called Mathew Trusler, and what a performance Allegro molto appassionato, Andante, Allegretto non troppo, Allegro molto vivace (and no Dive I did remember not to clap in between them!!!! although I wanted to, Mathew stood in centre stage and he played the violin with such passion, and, no music, it all came from his heart, and his fingers were flying, ( reminded me of you playing D)

It was really breathtaking, he had to take so many curtain calls, our hands were red hot clapping....

After the interval Dvorak Sympathy No 9 (From the New World) Adagio-Allegro molto.. Largo....Scherzo (molto vivace), and Allegro con fuoco...

The wonderful conductor Nicholas Cleobury, who was so into the music, and had been very entertaining all evening, never still!!! he explained about Dvorak in such a way, so when it came to listening to it, you waited for the lively allegro that comes after the the first movement which opens quietly.....and from then on, well of course the Hovis advert had to come into it, I had forgotten where they had pinched that from...

The Brass section (Robyn thought of you) was so good, in fact, what a performance all around, there are all ages playing, and the first violins, 8 of them... second violins 6 of those ...violas 5...Cellos 5, oh they were really good.... double bases 4,.. flutes 2 ..piccolo 1 ..oboes ..3 clarinets.. 2 ..bassoons 2 ..contra bassoon 1 ..French horns 4 ..trumpets 2 ..trombones 3 ..tuba 1 ..timpani 1 percussion 1.....

All of them played with such love and passion, the many violins and cellos playing as if one, a really moving experience...

So you can see how very lucky we are to have a little theatre where the Royal Phiharmonic Orchestra has been resident for 2 years now, and have agreed to another year....

A wonderful evening spent with lovely family, and so very much enjoyed, thanks again Jan, you are my star....

Roll on the Gala Christmas Concert in December, which we booked last year....lucky me....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds a wonderful evening - so pleased you enjoyed it.

dive said...

Cool! Good old Jan.
It sounds like a splendid evening. A major orchestra, too. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Scout said...

That sounds like a great evening. My orchestra played The New World Symphony a couple of years ago--it's great fun.

hee hee. Our conductor gives the evil eye to anyone who claps between movements.