Friday, July 27, 2007

Floods and Memories...

This was the Beccles Floods in 1946, and yes I am afraid I do remember them!!!!!!
Our Beccles Quay in 1976....
This last one was in the 1980's. the newspaper cuttings are from a scrap book my uncle gave me he was our Beccles Archivist, and most of his work is in Beccles Museum....and I may bore you again as he has many a lively tale....

He wrote for East Anglian Newspapers...and was Chairman for the Historical Society, He was a pianist and I can remember when I was little he used to play duets on the piano with me...when I went to visit my dear aunt Anne.

His daughters Rosemary (who now lives in South Africa,) and Margaret, who is now sadly passed away, were real pals, and I miss them a lot.....They, like me, loved art, and another cousin John Nursey is very good at art, and he has put together a book called Time Remembered, a selection of writings by my uncle Eugene Ulph, for which he has drawn the illustrations, a lovely family memory, and I do like to think that my boys have taken on the passion he had for History, Art, Music , Books and the love of memories of the past.....I have continued in a small way collecting bits and pieces from papers but wish I had his patience to put them in a book, but they are together maybe the boys one day will continue with gathering memories....mainly because although a tougher time for many, the cuttings from the scrap book and the selection of stories from Johns book,were a gentler way of life, and great to get away for a while from the many harsh things in the world today......

5 comments:

dive said...

Uncle Eugene and Aunt Annie were great. And I don't just say that because I have their old bureau in my living room.

And I remember the floods in '61 after the snow thawed. You took me down to the quay, paddling along the street in my wellies.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

This is fascinating, Mum. The chap standing on the edge of the flood looks so calm, too, like it's the most usual thing in the world. Interesting to compare these photos with today's shots of Tewkesbury where i am.
Thanks, most interesting.

Little Dive paddling in his wellies ahhhhh - photo please. lol..

Alifan said...

Hi Lynn, will have to sort some pics out, have to run them past Dive and Full though, they might not like to see themselves as they were!!!!!!

peahen said...

You don't say whether you've had any problems with flooding over the last few weeks - I assume not? Me neither and I count myself lucky given some of the pictures in the news. It really seems to have generated a bit of Dunkirk spirit among those involved.

Well done on the recent walking - now keep it up!

Beautiful cakes as usual!

Alifan said...

Thanks pea......went swimming this morning so do I get a star for that as well.....