Saturday, April 12, 2008

"CATS"

Wow... I was treated to the Theatre in Norwich last night!!!!

"Cats" such a wonderful show... the music, singing and wonderful dancing, and the costumes, I could not have wished for more...You know no doubt of Thomas Eliot and his poems, the ...Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats 1939...(no doubt Dive will lend me it as I am sure he will have it)......set to music must be one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's greatest fun making shows....and Midnight was still in my head all night... and Memories brought tears to my eyes and the hair on the back of my neck tingle.....

The music was very loud and flashing lights then the smoke getting rather out of hand were the only slight downside, but of course if you sit nearly on the stage what do you expect!!!!!!!

I expect you all know about the "jellicle cats" and as my Oscar and anyone with cats know they have a lot of traits...which were so perfectly acted by those very talented people.....I truly did not know where to look so much was going on......

The stage was already set as you walk in and the junk and old newspapers old bedsteads, and it was so great very dark (until all those flashing lights) I admire the scene makers, you felt you were in the alley with the cats........

All the cast were so good but...the young white cat Victoria, what a ballet dancer, she was so supple it made me ache with envy!!!!and Mr Mistoffelees the conjuring cat.. OMG what a superb ballet dancer...and I must mention The Rum Tum Tugger, who I simply could not take my eyes off.. just great....

By sitting so close (thanks Anthony)!!!!!you really felt as though you were amongst the cats, and of course they crawl all over the audience........the young children in the theatre were openmouthed, the cast were really lovely with them, and at the interval the youngsters were allowed on the stage for Old Deuteronomy who stayed on the stage so he could sign their programmes...

It was like a ballet/opera/comic/tearful all wrapped up in one parcel.....

The costumes well they were really out of this world, and the 2 people who painted the leotards get a mention in the programme, all who produced the show should have a pat on the back and my hands were sore with clapping..

When the poor Grizabella, the glamour cat who had left the tribe but wants to return .. was picked to be the jellicle cat to be reborn. the scenery was spectacular and (that was when the smoke got a bit out of hand, but as I have said we were only 3 rows from the stage.....) the large round tyre lifted with Old Deuteronomy and Grizabella it went way up then the steps came from above and she went up my goodness it was high up and the music , lights and the cast all over the stage acting just like cats.......it was really breathtaking..

So thanks Anthony, Marian and Geoff for a great evening...Geoff and I had not seen the show before, but the other two had seen the show in London, must admit I could go and see it again and still not be able to take in the wonder of it......

If you have not seen it, do go you will be amazed and moved.....

6 comments:

dive said...

Eww! Lloyd Webber!
I'm glad you had a good time, though.
You know our agreement where I'll let you buy a bunch of non-books every month as long as you read one proper book? We'll have to start doing that with theatre; you can go see your musicals as long as you watch one proper play/opera/ballet a year.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Cats is marvellous, 'Mum'. I saw it years ago and floated around my house afterwards singing Midnight for days. In fact i'm still singing it - i adore singing and it's a great excuse to practise.

Dive you're a bossy old boots! You let her read all the non-books she likes and go and see all the wailing thesps she wants. Oh but do fit in a Shakespeare or two and a jolly good old play here and there. Oh yes alright then i'm a closet Dive. Ok.

Alifan said...

Hi Lynn. Dive is very good at telling me what to do. see how he treats me tee hee....good job I love him!!!!!Whatever he says I loved the show....

The other one is watching rugby at Twickenham as you know!!!

Scout said...

Now that Cats is touring off Broadway, he came here to Akron recently, so I was able to see it about a month ago. It really was a fun show. The big, black and white fatso who has trouble sitting without tottering over looks just like my big, fat Mike who has the same problem.

I'm glad you got to see it and had fun.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful review Beryl - it bought back my own memories of Cats which I saw in Drury Lane when it first opened many years ago.

Shan said...

HELLO to YOU Mrs. Alifan! :) I heard my name mentioned and came by to say "hi". I have in fact appreciated your lovely cakes and pics since I read about you on Dive's blog. I really need to spend less time at this computer looky looing, but I like this new fun batch of people so I'm hooked for now.
Oh and yes I LOVED cats too. And yours as well. I'm a cat lady with no cat :(.